Twitter Trends?Twitter Trends show you those topics that are rising stars on Twitter. They are determined by an algoritm that is based on who you follow and your location. Twitter Trends help you to easily discover those discussions that matter most to you!
Activate the location-specific TrendsWant to find out which countries are part of the list you can filter on or simply activate those Trends for your own country? On the Twitter homepage you see Trends on the left. Click ‘change’ and find your country in the list. If you can drill down even further, you will immediately get an overview of all cities you can filter on.
Twitter as a marketing toolAt the Social Media World Forum in London this week Bruce Daisley, the UK Twitter Director gave an interesting presentation on how you can use Twitter as a marketing tool. One of the things he focused on is the tone of voice that works for brands.
The tone of voice triangleMany brands seem to think there is only one tone of voice that really works on Twitter: the fun and light-hearted one. This is definitely not the case. There are actually three tones of voice that you can use and combine. Daisley talks about the tone of voice triangle: fun, help and info. He believes you should choose two of these for your own brand. Personally I feel like a mixture of all three is good as well. This is at least how we do it at Engagor. We post informative content on Twitter in the form of tips and blog posts. We also use Twitter for customer service, offering our users help whenever they have questions. Finally we also post fun content from time to time, mostly related to the team and our company. Come to think of it, we mainly share information and offer help through Twitter.
Some good practicesDaisley uses three brands to to illustrate how you can work with these three tones of voice.
- Samsung focuses on the informative tone of voice and this works great for them. They share interesting information on their products, to educate and help their followers.
- Innocent Drinks is really good at the light-hearted tone of voice.
- And finally there’s telecom operator 02 that goes for a combination of help and fun. You should just scroll to the replies they give their followers: it never gets boring.
Update for iOS and Android makes it easier to find content. When you search for important Twitter moments, there will often be a top tweet shown on top of the results. This can be of great help given the huge amount of tweets on specific subjects. Scrolling down you get suggestions for related searches, as well as all the recent tweets on the subject.
Update for iPhone and iPad:
- Tweets and web browsing When you click a link in a tweet, the built-in web browser will pop up but the tweet itself will remain visible at the bottom of the screen. This way you can read an article or watch a video in the context of the tweet and easily retweet, reply or favorite it. Just tap the page to make the tweet disappear and pull up and down the tray icon to make it (dis)appear again.
- Autocomplete Twitter has also improved autocomplete to give you more hashtag/user/topic suggestions whenever you search on Twitter or compose a new tweet.